On Sep 28, 2005, at 7:26 PM, Gary Kline wrote:

On Wed, Sep 28, 2005 at 06:48:03PM +0200, Daniel Gerzo wrote:

Hello Mark,

Wednesday, September 28, 2005, 6:41:47 PM, you contributed this to our collective wisdom:

Just upgraded to openssl 0.9.8 and things are breaking, namely exim and cyrus-imap. Non-SSL connections work, SSL connections cause a segfault.

I'm going back to 0.9.7g using the WITH_OPENSSL_097 flag, but is there some way to make this work with 0.9.8? Have I totally missed something
here?

you need to recompile your software (exim,cyrus-imap,...) against new
openssl libs.

    I'll toss in my two cents here just FWIW.  I had troubles
    with all sorts of sh* (stuff) breaking when I touched openssl.

    I had not---or maybe I did, inadvertently--used the openssl
    "port".  I *had* to use /usr/src/secure/openssl/<<whatever>>;
    when applications began breaking.  I pkg_deleted openssl
    and rebuilt the native /usr/src/* stuff.  These apps are
    tightly interdependent; that's why you are seeing things
    break.

    This may or may not work generally.  It cost me at least
    a day's investigation ... and I'm  *still* not sure that
    everything's right.

I think I have a clue as to why this is becoming complicated. I didn't have either WITH_OPENSSL_BASE=yes or WITH_OPENSSL_PORT=yes in / etc/make.conf. What must be happening is that some things are using the base openssl, and some are using the port, which is causing a conflict. That's my guess. For whatever reason, the 0.9.7g port doesn't cause a conflict, whereas 0.9.8 does.

I don't really see the point of having the openssl port installed, in my case. Its only installed because some port wanted it and built it, and I didn't have WITH_OPENSSL_BASE=yes set. So, I'm now going to set WITH_OPENSSL_BASE=yes, remove the openssl port, and rebuild everything that depended upon the openssl port.

Can anyone either refute any of the above guesses, or tell me why I am a fool to go with the base openssl rather than the port?

Thanks!

--
Mark Edwards
[EMAIL PROTECTED]