On Oct 5, 2005, at 12:26 AM, K Anderson wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: "Garrett Cooper" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Sent: Tuesday, October 04, 2005 11:48 PM
Subject: php4 sessions not built by default?

Just trying to access some session variables via the PHP4 and for some odd reason it doesn't appear as if the function exists. Is this not
built in PHP4 by default? And if so, how may I remedy the  issue?
    Thanks,
-Garrett
"[EMAIL PROTECTED]"

Take a gander at http://us3.php.net/manual/en/ref.session.php

I found this...
Installation
Session support is enabled in PHP by default. If you would not like to build your PHP with session support, you should specify the --disable- session
option to configure. To use shared memory allocation (mm) for session
storage configure PHP --with-mm[=DIR] .

Might want to check out some of the examples on the php web site to see if
they work.

Also, I looked in /usr/ports/lang/php4-extensions and saw it was a meta-port for ctype, mysql, overload, pcre, posix, session (ooooh!), tokenizer, xml
and zlib (I wish the portmakers would put the old php installation
functionality back in place because, IMHO, it is a pain in the arse to have to go to each port separately and add it in as far as PHP is concerned. I liked the old functionality of php4 install when it asked what modules were to be included.) I know this is a smidge off topic but how in the world do
you portupgrade a "meta-port"?

Hope that helps you.

~Mr. Anderson

I finally found a webpage describing that *right* before you sent the message to me, compiled everything, but still session handling fails because it claims that the functions cannot be found. Any clues?
    I really do appreciate the help!
-Garrett