Thanks Chuck,

Add:

options IPFIREWALL_FORWARD
options IPFIREWALL_DIVERT

...to your kernel config file.  This is mostly documented here:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/firewalls-ipfw.html

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, the IPFIREWALL_FORWARD was not mentioned in the link you gave me (which I visited prior). Otherwise I wouldn't have lost 2 nights working on this. But that's over now. I'm working on another stumbling block on ipfw.

Also note that ipfw forwarding alone may not do what you expect, unless you make special efforts on the machine being forwarded to, to recognize the additional IP addresses. You might find using the redirect_host or redirect_port directives to natd more appropriate for your purposes.
Thanks for your concern. For my purposes, it's only a gateway. The NAT router is further down the road. Appreciate the tip anyway.

--
-Chuck