All:

This may be better for freebsd-cluster@freebsd.org, but that list is kind of ghost town, and this question is more a standards-based:

Does anyone deploy Dell Poweredge in a HA configuration utilizing these features?

http://www.intel.com/network/connectivity/resources/technologies/load_balancing.htm
http://www1.us.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/power/en/ps1q03_bhutani?c=us&cs=555&l=en&s=biz
http://www.broadcom.com/drivers/faq_drivers.php#55

Do we know what underlying standards and protocols compose these "technologies"? 802.3ad, Cisco FEC?

Intel AFT claims to provide redundancy over a "team" of NICs. ALB claims link aggregation; but they don't specify if they're doing it in hardware or sofware (see Below)

Broadcom BASP claims the same, given different terminology and vendor.

I'm looking for a "fault tolerant" configuration for a HA cluster. "Load balancing" and/or "link aggregation" is not required. I need to be able to "team" two NICs into one Virtual NIC. Each NIC connects to two redundant managed switches, on which the connecting switch ports exist in the same VLAN (which is then ISL/802.1q trunked between them). Essentially
the same ethernet segment.

I see ng_one2many(4), but the man page doesn't really state what standard that uses. It seems to be all in-kernel magic (LACP and 802.3.ad aren't mentioned in the man page); will this meet the above requirements?

There were some ng_one2many(4) patches a while back to add more intellegence, (FEC/802.3ad heartbeat like control protocol)

...but no mention of them ever being commited.

I see ng_fec(4) also, but I don't think that Cisco Ethernet Channel can occur between two switches and one server (correct me if I'm wrong).

I question the Hardware v.s. Software issue on the Intel NICs becase the Dell PowerEdges Severs that happen to have Intel NIC Chipsets using em(4) (many have Broadcom), seem to automatically try to "team" NICs when they're connected to unmanaged PowerConnect switches, breaking ng_one2many logic. They constantly alternate MAC addresses between the primary ethernet, the secondary ethernet, and a 3rd 1-byte-off Virtual MAC.

This automatic attempt to team seems like a hardware feature. If it was a software feature, in theory it wouldn't try to team w/o being instructed to?

On the other hand, *managed* Dell PowerConnect switches feature something called "LAG", which the docs describe as 802.3ad / LACP.

I haven't tried ng_one2many on non-Dell or Dell Managed switches to see if the MAC address "bouncing" problem persists, but I'll try that today.

So the big question:

 *) Is the Windows/Linux-only software for configuring "teams" of NICs,
    described in the URLs below, designed to configure a hardware level
    feature that might have more intellegent link failure detection than
    ng_many2one? (I.e., other than just lost carrier, say, STP storm
    detection or excessive packet error thresholds).  Or is it software?

 *) If it is a hardware feature, could our em(4) driver be adapted or
    could it possibly be configured using OpenManage via the Intel
    IPMI/DMI/SMI whatever?

 *) Can Cisco FEC or 802.3ad provide reundancy between two switches and
    one server w/ two NICs?  Will NetGraph ever have a 802.3ad module?

 *) What combination of Switch and NIC related teaming / failover technology
    are known to be compatible with FreeBSD ?

TIA,
~BAS