> Hello,
>
> Could you please offer some advice on how I can remove Windows XP  Pro
> from an old and slow Gateway 400 Mhz computer, and install FreeBSD?

You don't have to do anything to remove XP.   When you install
FreeBSD over the top of it, that will get rid of XP.   So, just
follow the handbook or any of the good books that are out to do
a regular (eg non-dual boot) install of FreeBSD.

You could alternatively squeeze XP down enough to make room
and install FreeBSD as a second OS and then you would have a dual
boot machine with both XP and FreeBSD on it.

But if you don't want to preserve the XP at all, then just do the
straight FreeBSD install and voila, XP is gone.

////jerry