Craig Deal wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Bob Ababurko
Sent: Wednesday, October 05, 2005 7:53 AM
To: Charlie Schluting; freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject: Re: Replacing a failing HD

Yes, I guess I should mention that the drives were on the same machine, actually the same bus and/or channel. I have also done this on Solaris. I believe it was Solaris 8, but it works just the same. I am not sure if it would work over a network. Just make sure you dd the disk as a whole as in /dev/daX and not by the slice.

-Bob

Charlie Schluting wrote:

I have used dd to image a drive many times before in freebsd. It works like a champion and will boot up just fine. I may have misunderstood your mail but if not then it will work.

Well, maybe my weird "over ssh calling a setuid program

that calls a
script" dd was flawed somehow. I'll do it again with both drives in the same machine.

Thanks for the response!

Hope it's ok to continue this thread, but can you explain in more detail how
to use dd to copy a HD. I read "man dd" and was unable to figure out how
this is done.

Thanks,
Craig

This is what I have done in the past.

dd if=/dev/da0 of=/dev/da1 bs=8192b

where da0 is the disk you want to copy and da1 is the new, blank disk. I should also mention that it is wise to do this in single user mode. I actually have read this somewhere and understand the point of it, but I must also say that I have done it both ways and they have both worked. YMMV I would have to say it is all dependant and what you have running.

I have done this too many times to count and it is very easy.

peace,
Bob