On Oct 10, 2005, at 2:34 AM, Andrew P. wrote:

We've got some mostly idle, but powerful sparc64
servers running Solaris 9/10, as well as a host of
Linux servers (x86 and x86_64). Of course, all the
real work is done on a pack of FreeBSD boxes :-)

Some days ago I started using ccache and distcc,
and I really love these tools. Now I want to get the
Solaris and Linux servers to do something useful
and compile world, kernels and ports for the
FreeBSD boxes. Is there a somewhat
comprehensive guide to this? Can somebody
share his experience with me? I'm now looking
into crosstool how-to's, but I have no knowledge
of gcc intrinsics, and some points are very hard
for me to understand.

Thanks,
Andrew P.

Good luck with that effort. Not to treat it as the feat is entirely impossible, but I'm not sure how you would approach it without using GNU lib stuff since linux runs via GNU libs whereas FreeBSD uses their own libc package. Not only that, you would have to have equivalent compiling tools, have the libs compiled for multiple archs, etc. It's a fairly large project that many companies are actually working on right now for making into reality since computing clusters are becoming so prevalent nowadays. Anyhow... not impossible (well, maybe for the kernel end of things, but not some of the packages in world or ports), but good luck ;)!
-Garrett