On Oct 10, 2005, at 9:54 AM, Paul Schmehl wrote:

Since I only got one answer, I'm resending this in the hope that others will respond.

I maintain a small hobby website running on FreeBSD 5.4. I'm pasting in the dmesg.boot at the end of this post so you can see the hardware.

In the past week, the server has rebooted three times, and I can't find any explanation for it in the logs. I *suspect* these might be "mistakes" by the ISP's techs (or possibly the UPS isn't really working as it should), but I want to rule out other possible explanations before I talk to them.

What are the possible causes of spontaneous reboots? And what artifacts would be left behind that might indicate the source of the problem? Are there any utilities I can use to monitor the system and possibly discover the source of the problem? Any special files or logs in unusual places that might give me a clue?

Set it up to record the kernel crash dump when it crashes so you can see what it says...

<http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/developers-handbook/ kerneldebug.html>

---
Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC
Your Web App and Email hosting provider