Lowell Gilbert wrote:
Wayne Witzke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

I'm a little confused...  I thought I had RELENG_5_4.  "uname -a" says:

FreeBSD wlaptop 5.4-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE #1: Thu Oct  6
21:18:29 EDT 2005
     [EMAIL PROTECTED]:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/WLAPTOP  i386

Isn't this RELENG_5_4?

It was, but some patches have been applied since the release was
made.  I was suggesting RELENG_5, not RELENG_5_4; in other words, the
branch that will eventually become the 5.5 release.

I'll see if I can't figure out how to do this, then. I had no idea that I wasn't running the most current.

Lowell Gilbert wrote:

Is there anything that I can do to capture more information the next
time my computer reboots spontaneously?

Try to get a crash dump.  There's more information on it in the
Handbook.  And some related information on panic analysis (if you can
get it to that point) in the FAQ.

I'll try that, it doens't sound too difficult.  Just so I know, if I
was going to see a kernel panic message, I'd be seeing one before the
computer reboots, right?

I thought that was what you were describing in earlier messages.

I'm *NOT* getting anything of this form (from the FAQ):

        fault virtual address   = 0x40
        fault code              = supervisor read, page not present
        instruction pointer     = 0x8:0xf014a7e5
        stack pointer           = 0x10:0xf4ed6f24
        frame pointer           = 0x10:0xf4ed6f28
        code segment            = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                                = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
        processor eflags        = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
        current process         = 80 (mount)
        interrupt mask          =
        trap number             = 12
        panic: page fault

All I get is the single line error message in the system log:

acd0: unknown transfer phase

and then the computer drops to a POST and reboots. I see nothing on my screen between the error and the POST.

One of the diagnostic steps that the FAQ mentions is to trace the instruction pointer. My assumption was that if the system was going to give me a message like that, I'd see it before the POST, but I wanted to make sure that I didn't need to be looking for that message in a log somewhere, or changing a configuration option somewhere to make the system generate an error message of that form, because I definitely don't see that before the POST.

Wayne