On Mon, Oct 17, 2005 at 01:25:53AM -0700, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> >Ah, good to know! So does this mean that if I already switched between
> >region 1 and region 2 DVDs 100+ times, that the drive has already been
> >flashed to RPC1 by the vendor?
> >

> The drives I've dealt with seem to have a bit of nvram somewhere that
> when you set
> it to region 1 the first time that you play a DVD in it, a flag is set in
> that nvram.
>
> The patches appear to make the DVD drive ignore the setting of that flag,
> as a result
> it seems immaterial what you have done with the drive pre-patch.

It appears that this drive has been patched by the reseller or someone
up the chain. I didn't know I was so lucky! :-)

> >BTW, almost all flashers are DOS oder Windows-based. Do we have a
> >FreeBSD-based general purpose flasher for this kind of stuff?
>
> Since I think it's illegal to do this in the first place I would say be
> happy
> they exist at all. ;-)

You mean illegal in *some* countries... I've googled a bit and found
a couple of IDE fireware flashers for Linux. Shouldn't be too hard
to adapt to FreeBSD, given enough junk drives to experiement with
and throw away... ;)

BTW, not every flashing is illegitimate, not even in DMCA-land: just
think of legitimate fireware upgrades, using images from the manufacturers.
Should I *really* buy Windows just to be able to run their flasher?

Thanks,
-cpghost.

--
Cordula's Web. http://www.cordula.ws/