In the last episode (Dec 13), Jason L. Schwab said:
> Heya Folks;
>
> I came accross a file on a friend of mine's machine and I was
> wondering how via chmod you could come up with the follow
> permissions (ls -la on the file)
>
> -rwx--s---
>
> I tried doing chmod u+rwx and then g+s but then I get -rwx--S--- and
> it does not work correctly. The idea behind this is to have a shell
> script that can be ran as suid by a group of people, but the actual
> script code can not be seen.

When you do an ls, the setuid and executable bits get displayed on the
same character position.

  setuid  exec   char
  ======  ====   ====
  0       0      -
  0       1      x
  1       0      S
  1       1      s

Try chmod u=rwx,g=sx.  This doesn't work, though, since setuid bits on
shell scripts do nothing.  The kernel actually executes shell scripts
as "/bin/sh command", so the setuid bit is never checked.  Take a look
at the "sudo" utility, which will let you do what you want.

--
        Dan Nelson
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]