David Kirchner wrote:
On 10/27/05, Will Maier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Must be -- some flag produces unique bits in the executables. I'm a
little surprised there isn't (AFAICT) anything descriptive in
file(1)'s manpage or /u/s/mi/magic that would explain the
discrepancy. Didn't see anything in quick looks through gcc(1) or
make(1), either.

Weird.

It doesn't look like it's done in the magic file. Rather, it's
something built in to file itself. Check out around line 400 of
'readelf.c'.

This doesn't explain how it gets in to the binaries built, though.

Here's some more to think about. I have a simple cpp program I used to test something a while back. Running file on that executable returns:

trisha% file floatpoint
floatpoint: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (FreeBSD), for FreeBSD 5.3.0, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), not stripped

I just now recompiled with "c++ floatpoint.cpp" and now:
trisha% file a.out
a.out: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (FreeBSD), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), not stripped

And compiled with same commandline on the "working" machine:
alexis% file a.out
a.out: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (FreeBSD), for FreeBSD 5.4, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), not stripped

I looked at my "env", but I do not see /any/ compiler related variables set. Is there something up with the compiler itself? My processor? (Athlon64 in i386 mode)

Later,
Micah