I forgot to mention that I've already tried giving the absolute path to
every executable mentioned in the script, but to no avail.

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, November 03, 2005 12:56 PM
To: Alex Zbyslaw
Cc: Brandon Hinesley; freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject: Re: Cron Job will not run.

Alex Zbyslaw wrote:
> Brandon Hinesley wrote:
>
>> The script below works perfectly when I run it from a console, however,
>> nothing at all seems to happen as evidenced by the backups not being
>> rotated.  I don't know if this makes a difference, but the "Backup"
>> folder
>> is a file system on an external hard drive.  I am also using samba to
>> share
>> that folder as r/o.  [...]
>> Here's part of my /etc/crontab:
>> --------------------
>> SHELL=/bin/sh
>> PATH=/etc:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/sbin
>> [...]
>> rsync -av --delete $files/$docs $dbkups/0/
>>

> This is a FAQ, though I don't know if it's in the FAQ :-)
>
> From the command line /usr/local/bin (where rsync lives) is in your
> path.  From Cron it is not.  Either add it to the crontab or set PATH in
> your script.  The latter is recommended since the script works whatever
> the running user has their path set to.  There may be some other path
> problem I've missed, but this ones sticks out.
>
> --Alex

Blah - I dont know where rsync lives - let's assume it lives in
/usr/local/sbin - change the line in cron to:

/usr/local/sbin/rsync -av --delete $files/$docs $dbkups/0/

--
Best regards,
Chris

Real programmers don't write in Pascal, Bliss, or Ada, or
any of those pinko computer science languages.  Strong
typing is for people with weak memories.