Alex Zbyslaw wrote:
Bill Moran wrote:

Bill Moran <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Micah <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I'm running the i386 version of FreeBSD with 1gb ram. Didn't think to check this before, but I'm getting ~112-113 volts into the PSU from the surge strip. I'm probably going to get a new PSU today. The parts store has a couple of 400 watters in the $50 range (a fortron and a thermaltake).

Cheap power supplies are a near guarantee that your computer will be
unstable.  Unfortunately, $cheap doesn't always == quality cheap.

I recommend the more recent one as a guage for what manufacturers you
can trust.  Frankly, if you're only spending $50 on a 400W, you're
probably getting a piece of junk - although Fortron has been rating
well in Tom's tests.
A PSU actually capable of 350W *ought* to have done you fine, but many cheap PSUs, as Bill says, just don't cut it. I'd personally recommend a Seasonic, which won't be cheap, but will be quiet and reliable if mine is anything to go by. Antec also seem to have a reasonable rep.

There's a nice wattage claculator here: http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/Power_Supply_Calculator.php?

--Alex

Thanks for the link. I actually used that calculator when I pieced this machine together.

I'm really beginning to doubt it's the PSU. Why? I cannot get the output voltage to drop no matter what load I throw at it. I plugged in four additional hard drives and ran a system stress test and still the voltages remained rock steady at the values I stated earlier. I ran it for an hours with the high-low monitor on a Fluke multimeter. The +5 stayed near 5.1 with 5.08 as the bottom, and the +12 stayed near 11.89 with 11.84 as the minimum. I even had one of the "random segfaults" and the +12 voltage never dropped below 11.84. I'm not sure how I can get the load any higher without using resistors which most certainly does not simulate the load I'm generating while compiling.

That leaves memory, CPU or mobo. I ran memtest86+ and it reported no errors. I'll run it again for an extended period of time while I'm at school to see if it reports anything. That leaves CPU and mobo. Anyone got any ideas how to test those? The only system test I can run that does report an error is Lucifer 1.0 (on the ultimate boot cd). The mprime test and cpuburn do not find any errors.

Thanks,
Micah