Hi,

is there an application to load balance web traffic using multicast on freebsd ?

We have web servers currently running NLB (network load balancing) on windows 2003 that works this way (simplified for clarity):

We have server A that listen on ip 10.10.10.11
We have server A that listen on ip 10.10.10.12

Both server also listen to "virtual ip" 10.10.10.10. That ip is in fact a multicast ip so that a request going to that ip is received by both server. Windows load balancing then decide which of the 2 machines process the request. It also adapts itself if a server is added or removed from the cluster (manually or on a failure)

I saw there is a way with freebsd to add a machine in front of the cluster that will direct the traffic and load balance the traffic between a group of computers, but I'm looking for a solution similar to windows load balancing that doesnt require a dedicated machine in front of the cluster.

If someone knows of an app that could do that, I would appreciate if you could give me a url for the software in question...

Please don't mention solutions that require the use of a dedicated machine in front of the cluster. If there is no way to do this on freebsd, I will simply use a cisco load balancer in front of my freebsd servers