On Nov 11, 2005, at 12:57 PM, Sasa Stupar wrote:
I am quite new to freebsd. I have several applications build from the ports collection. When some port change for a new version (I cvsup my ports collection) how do I do upgrade of that application? Is it the same as for the first time: just go to the port I want and then type make and make install or is there another way?

Yes, there are other ways.

The two main choices for rebuilding new ports are sysutils/ portupgrade and sysutils/portmanager. portupgrade is considered the default or standard tool, and it works quite well for most things, but has problems with KDE and GNOME in particular.

portmanager uses a rather different approach to handling dependencies, which can require more compiler work, but it seems to handles updating KDE and GNOME better than portupgrade does.

--
-Chuck