Greg Barniskis wrote:

Mark J. Sommer wrote:

This is really a sendmail question I believe.  Your problem is probably
because root doesn't get masqueraded. In your sendmail.cf, is there a line
like the following:

CEroot

or

C{E}root

If so, comment it out and restart sendmail.

That will work but the config will get overwritten on upgrades. It is best to override the defaults via the mc config generator, so that "CE root" doesn't appear in the first place.

Thanks to both of you! This appears to be causing my problems. (I
haven't been able to actually test it yet because when I "su -l" to root
and try to use "mail" to send e-mail it seems to use the user I
initially logged in with anyway.)

For the sake of completeness, I found the solution to removing root as
an exposed user at http://www.grok.org.uk/docs/smroot.html . (It does
require a bit more editing and adjusting of configuration files then I
would like, but it's well-explained and does kinda make sense.)

My apologies for sending this to the wrong list