On 14 Nov 2005 10:03:32 -0500
Lowell Gilbert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Dick Hoogendijk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Today I compiled some kde stuff for a few hours on my fbsd-6.0 box
> > and when I gave the "shutdown -p now" command it took minutes to
> > complete the shutdown process. The machine "seemed to hang" on the
> > shutdown of the pflog device. The porcess /was/ completed
> > succesfully in the end but I wonder what happened..
> >
> > After starting up again and (again) a shutdown -p now all went well
> > and fast.
> >
> > Anybody a clue?
>
> You need a bit more information than that for a decent clue.
> It might well be that whatever hangs is right *after* pflog, though...

Right. This /is/ indeed the case. Sometimes there are some processes
that won't be killed normally. I get the warning "use ps axl" .. But
after a very long time the machine does shut down and a ps axl does not
show anything ;-) It does not happen always; so, I don't have a clue
how to investigate what causes the hangings.. any tips?

--
dick -- http://nagual.st/ -- PGP/GnuPG key: F86289CE
++ Running FreeBSD 4.11-stable ++ FreeBSD 6.0