Marco Calviani wrote:
Hi Eric and list,
unfortunately my BIOS (of a Travelmate 8005) does not support boot from USB
devices.
I'll search for some other information that comes from multi-os users.

I''m interested in the answer myself....
Did a little googling, found this (not encouraging) post
  http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-mobile/2004-March/003426.html

Thanks again,
MC

I've installed it on USB keys and external USB drives with no problem.

Since I was only using those for experimentation, I never modified my
boot loader. My BIOS provides a boot menu for selecting the boot
device, of which "external USB device" is an option. I found this
cleaner, since when not using those devices I do not have to go through
the FreeBSD boot menu.

Hints?
For my situation... I booted from the CD. When asked to slice and
partition my disk... I chose the external USB device. I selected the
'standard boot loader'. Then the rest of the magic is handled by my BIOS.

Don't know if that helps you much.

--
Regards,
Eric