On 11/18/05, Sean Murphy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I want to set up a FreeBSD file server and want to choose the
> appropriate method.  The filesytems must be mounted on the client,
> always available, and transparent to the user.
[...]

> Any thing for connecting to a Novell Server?
> NDS and Bindrey
> IPXSPX and TCP/IP

FreeBSD should be able to use mount_nwfs to mount Netware volumes, but
it doesn't work for me.  Seems to only support older versions of
Novell, or at least only limited configurations.

Novell's recent releases have a new NFS (server) that is not
compatible with FreeBSD's NFS client.  Novell has a stupid (in my
opinion) interpretation of the NFS spec.  The particular bug that bit
me (kern/79336) probably would not be an issue if a Novell NFS client
were accessing a FreeBSD NFS server, though.  Also, this problem
doesn't happen with Novell 5.1 NFS servers, it was introduced some
time after that.

I've attempted to use FreeBSD as an SMB client with a Novell server as
an SMB server, it didn't work either - directories weren't handled
correctly, IIRC.  In short, I have no good method of using a Novell
server with a FreeBSD client.  I've never tried to use a Novell client
with a FreeBSD server, so that might work ok.

- Bob