On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 10:13:48 -0500
Gerry Freymann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 15:59:49 +0100
> Kiffin Gish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >I have a home network running 3 desktop machines with Windows XP
> >Pro, and a webserver, fileserver and laptop with FreeBSD 5.x.
> >
> >What's the best way to be able to exchange files and directory
> >shares between the two environments?
> >
> >It would also be nice to share the printer which is connected to
> >one of the Windows boxes via USB.
> >
> >I hear that Samba is the way to go, but also have heard about such
> >client-based utilities like Sharity-light which also do the trick.
>
>  I would install Samba on your FreeBSD box, which would allow the XP
> machines to access the resources there.
>
>  I've used sharity-light to go the other way (freebsd -> XP) but
> found it even siimpler to use the built in mount support
>
>  mount_smbfs
>
>  The printer is doable too, although it can be more complicated
> depending on what you have. Samba will assist in making that
> happen, and you'll likely want apsfilter in there too.

Any ways... I've seen samba mentioned a few times... from my
experience you will need to turn on encryption for 3rd party smb
servers. Under the NT branches you can get this by going to control
panel, administrative tools, and then look for what ever it is used
for editing local security policies. It will be in there.