No, you can just compile it yourself using ports (although the ports
collection also doesn't support 5.3 any longer, most things will still
work).  Using packages with pkg_add -r is an *alternative* to
compiling yourself using the ports system, and there's no point in
updating your ports collection if you're not going to use it.

Is there a way to update to 5.4 that doesn't involve reinstalling? Everything I can find about it makes it seem like a very complex process. If someone can point me to some step-by-step docs, I would appreciate it.
(Yes, I have looked all over the freebsd site, and I don't see anything that is
plain and simple instructions).

Thanks, Ron

Kris Kennaway wrote:
I went to upgrade mysql from 4.1 to 5.0. I updated my ports (no problems), but when I ran:

pkg_add -r mysql50-server

I get:

Error: FTP Unable to get ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-5.3-release/Latest/mysql50-server.tbz: File unavailable

I looked at the ftp site, and there is a 5.4 directory, but not one for 5.3. So, I assume I need to upgrade to FreeBSD 5.4 before installing this port. Is that correct?

No, you can just compile it yourself using ports (although the ports
collection also doesn't support 5.3 any longer, most things will still
work).  Using packages with pkg_add -r is an *alternative* to
compiling yourself using the ports system, and there's no point in
updating your ports collection if you're not going to use it.

Kris