I'm also wondering wether 1000 Hz on a Soekris net4801 (Geode 266 MHz)
won't be overkill. I'm planning to migrate some of them from 5.4 to 6.0,

probably not.

my 400Mhz PII works almost as fast with HZ=1000 and HZ=100 - tested today

and doubting wether to change the new default to its more conservative
previous setting of 100 Hz.

This may be a religious issue and everyone should use what he or she
seems fitting.

On slow CPUs, it may not be merely a religious issue. :)

Markus

-cpghost.

--
Cordula's Web. http://www.cordula.ws/