To: "Hexren" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, November 25, 2005 9:36 AM
Subject: Re: Windows/FreeBSD VPNs

Hexren wrote:

I need to set up a VPN so a remote windows client can access some
Samba shares.  All of the documentation I've found are for FreeBSD to
FreeBSD tunnels, not for a client connecting directly.  Pointers to
documentation?

David

In your situation I tried openvpn and found it very comfortable to set
up and maintain. There is a freebsd port and packages for some systems
are avaiable. (that includes MS Windows)

http://openvpn.net/

Regards
Hexren

MPD - also in the ports collection, does PPTP and IPSEC tunnels, you do not need anything for windows 2000 upwards to connect, though you will need an add-on to win98 dial-up-networking to do ipsec. Fairly straight-forward install, runs clean, and documentation available.

--
Nathan Vidican
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Actually, I have not got an install of mpd running right now - used to run it from my office, but that office has since closed and I am employed elsewhere now. When I did have it running, I had a dual-homed machine which had an outside (static valid internet IP) and an inside interface to the LAN. The building at the time actually had 5 different networks, so routing and firewalling were a little more complex than most - but if I recall, each login via mpd get's it's own aliased interface on the FreeBSD machine, so just create your firewall rules appropriately. - Not sure how/if you can run mpd through NAT if that's what you were asking.