N.J. Thomas wrote:
* Norberto Meijome <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2005-12-02 11:06:49 +1100]:

What's your MaxClients set to?

It was set to 256, we actually lowered it to 180.

I would have thought you'd want to increase it (after configuring everything else)...else you'll get all those nasty "server too busy" errors.

Running wc -l on the daily Apache access logs, I get: ~1.8million hits
per day

cool. you should most definitely be able to serve that much (with an http service that is properly configured). Apache should do fine.

I dont think i can give much advice on the NFS side of things but in the meantime I would : - increase # of MaxClients (the default is RIDICULOUSLY small, specially in 1.3. You will probably have to recompile with a new max.

Higher than 256?

yes. IIRC, I've had apache 1.3 configured to over maxclients 1500 with about hardware. Your hardware + OS will set some limits (which you should modify as needed of course), but you should definitely be able to have more than 256.

- You RAM seems OK ... you may want to tweak some sysctl or memory settings in Apache (I seem to remember in 1.3 some to do with MMap, but i could be wrong) ... or just add more RAM. Check vmstat (or systat -vm 1) to see how much swapping is going on.

Will do...thanks for the suggestions.

np

btw, i think i forgot to mention you should look into changing to KeepAlive OFF (you want to serve a file and free up the apache resources for the next request - you trade off a bit of speed on each client's transaction, but overall you should see a great improvement. If you dont want to kill http keepalive altogether, set the timeout to a short timeframe (1 minute? 30 secs).

good luck,
Beto