It works great when both links go to the same ISP, which in this
case they are not.

Undoubtedly the OP wants to avoid spending money for better circuits,
and undoubtedly any ISP willing to run multiple DSL links to the customer
would charge more money.  (The ISP I work at would be one such willing
ISP, and we definitely would charge more)

Ted