Er, WEP anyone?  Do you really think if this poster is smart enough to
figure out how to turn on SSL on pine that he hasn't already thought of
that?

>2) Cable modem pools, or any internet hookup where there's a communal
>line shared.

Nope either.  If cable networks allowed unicast packets to flood every
subscriber then it would knock all their subscribers offline.  Consider
the
typical cable modem is a 2-3MB device.  Now compare that the the
average amount of bandwidth in use on a typical cable segment - we
are talking hundreds of mbts.  Your not going to stuff all that traffic
down a cable modem.

As for other communal networks, granted if such a network was plugged
into
a HUB and not a SWITCH then yes.  How likely do you think that scenario
is?
Even 10/100 24 port switches are going for under $50 on Ebay these days,
so those on complete shoestring networks have no excuse for keeping an
ancient hub in service.

Granted while you can flood a switch to force it into unicast mode, the
network then crawls, lots of complaints result, miscreant soon taken
care of.

>3) public networks (OK, I know the scenario presented is for home
>usage, but it's worth it to put this point here).

Yes it is but the only public networks that fit this bill are wireless
ones,
like in an airport or coffee shop.  Presumably the ISP has a SSL
webinterface
on their mailserver for this.  But, if you know your going into this kind
of area
then change your password before leaving home, if you must use your pop
client.

>4) Any network where a computer has been at all compromised.

I can insert a keyboard logger that will defeat any encryption you want.
And if the ISP is compromised then the likelihood is their mailserver,
which
is a much softer target, will be compromised long before any network
device.
And once the attacker has the mailserver, he doesen't need the passwords
anyhow.

>5) Any ISP with untrustable SysAdmins (I've known this to happen).

How is encryption on the password channel to the mailserver, which is
admined by these untrustable sysadmins, going to help with -that-?

>6) Almost a corrolary to 5) and 3); any ISP with a compromised machine.

if you don't trust your ISP to be competent, you may as well not use
their mailserver then.  Why would you use it?  Email comes in off the
Internet unencrypted, if they want to read your mail they can.

>You cannot assume that there are not nasty sniffers on your line.
>I have seen passwords sniffed out in all kinds of places.

So you figured out how to run a sniffer on a public wireless node.

Ted