----- Original Message ----- From: "Sasa Stupar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: "RW" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Sent: Thursday, December 22, 2005 8:32 PM
Subject: Re: KDE - how to?

--On 22. december 2005 17:19 +0000 RW <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Are you in the wheel group?

No, I am not in wheel group. I thought I could su if I am not in the wheel group (well, at least I can do it on linux) but I am learning FreeBSD slowly.

You _must_ be in the wheel group to be able to su in any case. Linux people see whole wheel group and root as a bad thing for anarchistic society, BSD folks like the additional layer of security - One has to crack wheel group users password or account in order to get root in a machine using su.

BUt why it won't let me log in as root? As I have read if the following line has secure written then root logins are allowed:
ttyv8   "/usr/X11R6/bin/kdm"  xterm   on secure
or have I missaunderstood this?

Secure means that root can login from these terminals directly (insecure terminals enforce the login as regular user then su:ing).