Marco Radzinschi wrote:

On Wed, 18 Dec 2002, Raphaël Dingé wrote:

Install KDE and/or gnome. Your call.

I'm new to FreeBSD myself, having used blackbox window
manager on a P133 with 48MB of RAM. Though it's not
impossible, with only 16MB or RAM, GNOME or KDE would
probably be pushing it; you'd be using your swap slice
continuously. I recommend blackbox, though it's not
as full-featured as the above. However, it's quite
easy to set up.

I'm not sure that this won't do it either. I had made an
installation of FreeBSD on old laptop with 32MB Ram.
X was taking about all of it, I did put WMaker on top of it,
which did not take too much memory itself.
I had seen that 32MB was definitively not enough, but even 48MB
would have been great !

Anyway, If you find some solutions with 16 MB Ram, I would be
happy to know it, since I can't use my old laptop for now.

Thanks,

Raphael

I imagine that FVWM would work.

KDE and GNOME were too slow for my taste on my Pentium II 400 machine with
384 MB RAM, so I don't want to imagine how that would run with 16 MB RAM.

On the other hand, that was with XFree86 4, but it might have run well
had I tried it with XFree86 3. You may want to consider not running
XFree86 4.

http://www.fvwm.org

Marco Radzinschi
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Wed Dec 18 09:15:47 EST 2002

I have found both Gnome and KDE too slow to be much use on
a NEC 200MHz Pentium 2 laptop  (Versa LX), with 64 MB of memory.  It
somehow 'feels' much slower than a Pentium 120 desktop with
48 MB, and I wonder if the disk is unusually slow.  FVMW works
fine - I get usable results on an ancient 486 33 with 20 MB with
that window manager.