Teilhard Knight wrote:

Hi:

I just installed FreeBSD 6.0 on a P4 HT, and I cannot start X. Actually I
want to start KDE; the .xinitrc is in place, but I couldn't start it before I wrote it, either. As I cannot copy and paste, I do not give you my xorg.conf file, but I need the i810 driver for a Realtek A'67 integrated sound device
whose chip apparently is Intel.

Hrm, isn't i810 the integrated video?

Oh, yes, I am sorry. Don't know how I could mess things.

Upon startx, I get in the end:

(==) Using config file "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
[drm] failed to load kernel module "i915"
(EE) I810(0): [dri] DRIScreenInit failed. Disabling DRI.
start: not found.

This looks suspiciously like a misconfiguration.  Is the word
"start" by itself in your .xinitrc, by chance?

Yes, I didn't know it couldn't be used. I replaced my .xinitrc file to contain 'exec startkde', and all is well now.

Thanks so much for your feedback.

Teilhard.