On Fri, Dec 23, 2005 at 10:07:21PM -0700, Warren Block wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Dec 2005, Gary Kline wrote:
> >
> >Do I need to have the device for USB 2.0 perhaps??
>
> Only in the unlikely event that it's a USB 2 scanner.  But I thought you
> were kldloading the uscanner module, and here you have it built in the
> kernel.  Don't do both--although the system shouldn't permit that.

        Yep; kldload gives me grief so I deleted the line from
        /etc/rc.conf.

> >     That is the only thing that is still commented.  I'll
> >     try that later on today.  As root, yes, I am able to
> >     have sane test, not as a user.  The scanner I am testing
> >     is recognized--HP ScanJet 4100C.
>
> What do you mean by this, exactly?  You see a message on the root
> console?

        I checked the sane website and found the 4100c supported.
        I should not have said "recognized"; it isn't.  Either the
        scanner or the transformer or the USB cable it shot.

> >But it was sold AS-IS and may well be broken.  My friend got a
> >*second* 4100C for $1.00 [no, not kidding]; it works on his Windows
> >box.  ((I'll gladly let him scan things if he is willing.))
>
> Have him test the first scanner on his system.

        Underway; he came back and picked everything up and will
        test to see what's shot.  Once I've got a scanner and xsane
        working on FBSD I'm going to have a shot of Yukon Jack
        and sit by the fireplace.

        gary

--
   Gary Kline     [EMAIL PROTECTED]   www.thought.org     Public service Unix