On Sat, 24 Dec 2005, Gary Kline wrote:

        Hm, this is strange. I have two hp files in sane.d, both sseem
        oriented toward Linux.  There is an entry for the 4100c in
        "hp.conf", but it wants to create /dev/scanner.

That line tells sane which device to use.  In FreeBSD, that's
/dev/uscanner0.

How do I tell sane to use hp.conf (or my new hp4100.conf)?

AFAIK, sane just looks through all the conf files for something that matches the scanner devices found. sane-find-scanner would be where it does that.

My rational against hp.conf is the ^/dev/scanner line as
well as the first SCSI line.  What does "scsi HP" do?
I don't use SCSI in this FBSD server.

Just comment that line out.

AFAIK, three of my USB modules are builtins.  Would you please
grep "usb" your KERNEL file?  gotta be something like this
why uscanner0 isn't there.

I have:

uhci
ohci