--- "Michael C. Shultz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> On Saturday 24 December 2005 07:34, Danial Thom
> wrote:
> > --- "Michael C. Shultz"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >
> > wrote:
> > > On Saturday 24 December 2005 06:54, Daniel
> A.

> with
> > >
> > > Windows XP.

> > > really is not targeted at

> > > interfaces.
> > >
> > > In a few key areas FreeBSD is a better
> desktop
> > > OS than Linux:  Easier to keep
> > > the kernel/world and installed ports up to
> date
> > > for example without having
> > > to resort to the microsoft/Linux fixall
> method
> > > of removing and reinstalling
> > > everything every now and again.  Your
> opinion
> > > is correct IMO that FreeBSD
> > > managers put most emphasis on FreeBSD as a
> > > server and little as a desktop.
> > > My guess is because donations(cash) and
> > > hardware support for developers
> > > come from people who want servers while
> people
> > > who want a desktop OS tend to
> > > donate squat....

> trying
> > >
> > > to make a valuable

> have
> > >
> > > experienced the same

> products
> > >
> > > in general) that you have.

> > > think you might like, is

> > > http://www.ubuntulinux.org/, or order a

> nothing).
> > >
> > > Advertising Linux in a FreeBSD mailing
> list?
> > > Sounds like you may have more of
> > > axe to grind against the FreeBSD management
> > > folk than a desire to offer sound
> > > advice....
> > >
> > > -Mike
> >
> > Why not just tell the truth, which is that
> > Windows XP is the best that you can do for
> the
> > desktop, and that there is no perfect
> solution
> > that works perfectly in every scenario?
>
> What I suppose you really mean is why don't I
> just agree
> with you ;)
>
> > FreeBSD
> > and Linux *should* focus on server functions,
> > because that is where MS is weak and that is
> > where its needed. There will likely never be
> > solid reason to use BSD or linux as a desktop
> > other than religion; while there are many
> > compelling reasons to use BSD and/or linux
> > servers.
>
> Your opinion.  Mine is FreeBSD has the
> potential to be
> a better desktop than either ms or Linux. The
> big problem
> at the moment is with web browser plugins.
> Desktop users
> coming from ms land demand these and FreeBSD
> simply
> comes up short in supporting them.  I have
> faith that will
> change eventually.

You're pretty much admitting here that FreeBSD
desktop is not as functional as windows. Which
was exactly the point I was making.

FreeBSD has the "potential" to be a very good MP
OS. Currently it is not, so I don't use it. I
need to run a business. "Potential" only means
that I monitor its progress; I "use" what is the
best available at the time for any given
function.

The reality is that there are a lot more things
available for WinXP than FreeBSD. This to me
defines productivity. I don't know what I'll need
next month. If something new becomes available
that I want to use, its much more likely to run
in WinXP than FreeBSD. So even if they were equal
at the moment, I have to choose windows.

Motherboards are tested on Windows, not FreeBSD.
With FreeBSD I never know when I buy a new MB if
everything will work properly. With WinXP I know
it will. Being able to chose a system based on
what hardware I need, rather than what hardware
will work with FreeBSD, is a big productivity
advantage IMO.

DT