In case it is of any help to anyone, I recently got two of my mice
running on FreeBSD 5.4 with Xorg, and I could post the Xorg conf files
I ended up using.

One of the mice is an A4Tech Optical GreatEye, which has two mice
wheels. One is for up-and -down, the other wheel is for right-to-left
manipulation.

The other mouse is a Starlogic mini trackball (optical) mouse. It's
small and has a small trackball on top instead of mice wheels. (Compaq
markets basically the same design as the Starlogic.) This means that I
can do the up-down or side-to-side scrolling with the trackball.

It is such a pleasure to be using FreeBSD with these newer, optical
mice with multiple scroll wheels (or the trackball).

Cheers,
-- paz.