Howdy, I just recently got into freebsd and everything has been running
    great.  Tonight I decided to change the compile time options that I set
    aterm up with and ran into some problems.

    Before doing this I went ahead and ran cvsup to make sure I had the latest
    and greatest port of aterm.  I don't know if anything got updated, but
    I only built my machine about a month ago with the latest ports.  I haven't
    seen any changes to the aterm port, but maybe I'm using the port changes
    search engine wrong.

    Anyways, after making sure I had the latest port info I then de-installed
    my copy of aterm, and then did a make install clean to re-install it, using
    the standard Makefile.

    Everything seemed fine till I went and ran screen.  When I ran screen, I
    found that I could no longer  use backspace. Instead of backspacing, it
    would instead simply cause my terminal to beep. I hit ^V then the backspace
    key and this is the code it's returning: ^[[3~ .

    I looked around the newsgroups and couldn't find a whole lot of answers
    in regards to this.  I found something about .inputrc, a file which I use
    to give me vi bindings in the python interpreter.  Here's the extent of my
    .inputrc file:

    set editing-mode vi

    I wouldn't imagine this would cause many problems, yet when I went ahead
    and moved the .inputrc to .inputrc.old and started up screen, then my
    backspace key printed a ~ and would cause my terminal to beep.  Hitting
    ^V backspace now reported ^[[3~ as well.

    Anyways I quite plainly 'don't get it'.  Nothing else has changed on my
    system.  I am running the following software:

    Screen version 3.09.13 (FAU) 5-Sep-02
    aterm version 0.4.2

    Has anyone else had this problem?  Thanks in advance for any help you can
    give me.  I use screen and aterm a lot, so losing the combo really really
    hurts.  Thanks again.