Two part question here ... first leads into the second, and the second might answer the first ...

1. What variables on a server should be monitored to determine how busy a server is? For instance, I've always been taugth that 'loadavg' is not an indication of how busy a server is, since a high loadavg on a single CPU server might be an overloaded server, but moderately loaded on a dual CPU server ... disk i/o, cpu usage, ethernet throughput ... what else?

2. Are there any tools that I can run to give me a point in time "summary" of how busy a server is based on these several factors?

Basically, I'd like to keep track of multiple servers and be able to say "this server is running >75% of capacity, time to upgrade or move things off of it" ... if its possible ... ?

thanks ...

----
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ: 7615664