I will install a fax server using hylafax on FreeBSD. This fax server must handle at least 8 fax-modem attached to it. For this I think I need a serial port multiplier or PCI based fax-modem cards which has at least 8 ports fax-modem chip. For FreeBSD 6.0 which hardware do I have to use for not having any driver specific problems. Can you recommend me one that works with hylafax and FreeBSD? Any suggestions?

cheap multiport PCI cards works fine, at least for me (i have TITAN 800H).

you may consider buying USB-RS232 or USB-doubleRS232 converters, or even better - USB modems.

make sure your USB modem is "Hayes compatible" which simply means that behaves like serial modem with AT* commands