Thanks to those who replied to my previous call for help. Now I think it's time I actually provide some relevant detail.

<snip>

Ideally, I'd like to be able to leave my workstation's network settings alone, and set up DHCP; however, a look over the ports suggests that's far more trouble than it's worth for a single client that doesn't really need such flexibility.

I don't have any servers running on my workstation, so I've no need to allow traffic from the 'net to get through the firewall to the LAN(servers on the gateway itself are another matter). However, the firewall is still my biggest challenge.

A DHCP server *looks* challenging to set up...but it's really a snap!
See my example at http://www.mostgraveconcern.com/freebsd/sheet.cgi?dhcp

Also, check out my firewall setup: http://www.mostgraveconcern.com/freebsd/sheet.cgi?ipfw

I don't use named, I just allow outbound DNS lookups through the firewall. Also, my DHCP server points clients at my ISP's DNS servers...

Hope this helps,

~Dan

--
FreeBSD Cheat Sheets