On 2006-01-12 15:20, fbsd_user <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On Jan 12, 2006, at 11:03 AM, fbsd_user wrote:
>> fstab is bad and boot drops me into "manual root filesystems spec"
>>
>> I answer ufs:ad0s1a
>> and get these messages
>>  "warning / was not properly dismounted"
>> "warning R/W of / denied. filesystem is not clean  run fcsk"
>>
>> when I enter fsck command nothing happens.
>> What is procedure to follow here???
>
>       Once it asks you for your shell in single user mode, you either
> choose it or just press enter for /bin/sh, and then you want to do
> this:
> # mount -o rw /dev/ad0s1a / #mount -a works nicely here too.
> # /sbin/fsck /dev/ad0s1a

Careful with the order of those commands.  You are *NOT* allowed to fsck
a filesystem that has been mounted as read-write.  You also missed an
invocation of adjkerntz, which is pretty much mandatory for getting the
timestamps of files right.

The correct thing to do, would be (comments in parentheses):

        # adjkerntz -i                  (adjust kernel time)
        # fsck -p                       (check all filesystems)
        # mount -u /                    (mount root fs as read-write)
        # mount -a                      (mount all other filesystems)