Barbara La-Scala wrote:
I have a Netcomm NB1300 modem and a Realtek 8029 ethernet card and
was successful at configuring PPPoE for this combination under R5.3.
I've recently upgraded to R6.0 and cannot get things to work any
more.

I've played with all the options in the ppp.conf that looked relevant
 (and several that didn't) and I've compiled the NETGRAPH stuff into
my kernel but still no go. I've googled but without success. I've tripled checked that I've got my username and password entered correctly. I know the modem is OK as I'm using it to post this (hooked up to a laptop with Windoze).

I'm reluctant to return to R5.3 as I'm enjoying having a working
sound card.  However, I need internet access more.  Any help would be
 greatly appreciated as I'm all out of ideas.

Configuration details are below.

Thanks Barbara

<snip>

I have a similar setup: FreeBSD 6, Netcomm NB1300 Plus 4, Netspace.

Occasionally it fails to connect while waiting for carrier, as yours
seems to have done.  If I try to connect again, it usually succeeds.

I would suggest making a second attempt to connect, if that fails,
power cycle the modem and try again.

If it still won't connect, then there might be a bigger problem.

I also have option "set cd 10" in my ppp.conf that sets a 10 second
delay waiting for carrier (FreeBSD checks for carrier once per second
until timeout) - I don't know if that makes any difference.

Rowdy