Ravi Kumar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hello,
>    I am a new convert to freebsd 6.0. I installed it
> on one of my old machine - a celeron 333 MHz, 98 MB
> RAM, with ISA slots. While installing it on my system,
> I faced a problem that it took a long time to load the
> freebsd installer menu. So I rebooted and selected the
> FreeBSD installation in verbose mode.
>
> This is the verbose output snippet I recieved:

> pci0: <bridge> at device 73 (no drivers attached)
> pci0: <display, VGA> at device 16.0 (no driver
> attached)
> ex_isa_identify()
> ata: ata0 already exists; skipping it
> ata: ata1 already exists; skipping it
>
> pnp_identify: Trying Read_Port at 203
> pnp_identify: Trying Read_Port at 243
> pnp_identify: Trying Read_Port at 283
> pnp_identify: Trying Read_Port at 2c3
> pnp_identify: Trying Read_Port at 303
> pnp_identify: Trying Read_Port at 343
> pnp_identify: Trying Read_Port at 383
>
> The problem is the last 8 lines above. It is I believe
> scanning some ports and is taking such a long time.
> After this the normal booting is quite fast.
>
> Is there any way I can disable this process of
> scanning that is taking place? After installing
> freebsd, each time I boot into it, it hangs for 30
> minutes at the code snippet above.
>
> My uname -a command gave the following output.
>
> FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE #0: Thu Nov 3
> 09:36:13 UTC 2005
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC i386
>

> Looking forward to a reply to this problem.

This is unlikely to solve your problem, but it will ease tracking down
what probe is giving you problems: build a custom kernel removing
devices you aren't using.  See if you get any more information there.

Then try disabling ACPI; I wouldn't be surprised if your system had
no support for it anyway.  And maybe try a verbose boot without ACPI.