If there is an easier way to make pkgdb -F complete its job successfully
and not terminate with errors, I'm all ears by the way.  :-)

I'm not too sure on this one.  I don't really use any of the `pkg'
utilities ;)  Someone else might be able to help with that.

well... if your package db has gotten way out of sync with your ports collection, it creates a nightmare that only time and effort will fix.
You have a couple options, both equally suck, but have their merits as well.

option 1: find the new dependancies or delete the dependancy if it no longer exists... once completed, use `portversion -l '<'` to see which installed ports have newer versions available. use portupgrade to get them current. takes forever but usually works...just be careful when changing dependancies,

option 2: remove as many old ports as possible, especically if they are not used/needed much and get your collection down to a small level, then move up to option 1. This method is easier, but not necessarily an option on many systems. its nice for workstations and cleaning the system out, not so good if a production box that requires all ports that are installed...

once pkgdb -F can be run without errors, cvsup, use `portsdb -Uu` then check for old ports using `portversion -l '<'`.

from this point on, you should have a clean system. to keep it clean, either always run pkgdb -F after installing a port, or always use `portinstall -N` to install your ports, which will update pkgdb on its own...

portupgrade is pretty much an all or nothing port... if you use it religiously, its great... if you forget about it, its a hassle later on down the road.

its a great port but works best on fresh installs... its a little harder to deal with if you have already installed a lot of ports.

just my $.02

.daniel.schrock