On Jan 21, 2006, at 4:54 PM, Adam Stroud wrote:

All:

I have been playing around with make.conf and I see that it is possible to to use the "NO_OPENSSH" variable to not build openssh when updating fbsd from source. I also noticed in the /etc/defaults/rc.conf file that there is a "sshd_program" entry that can be used to adjust where the installation of sshd is. I am assuming that this means that I can install openssh from the
ports exclusively and use the rc.conf file to launch the ports sshd on
startup.  Here are my questions about this:

1.  Is my assumption correct?
2.  Does this also apply to things like kerberos and openssl
3. Does this impose any notable side effects to the system (possibly with
stability/security)?

Thanks

According to man make.conf, NO_OPENSSH is the variable which defines whether or not to build OpenSSH. This doesn't have anything to do with fetching OpenSSH. NO_OPENSSL=yes implies NO_KERBEROS=yes and NO_OPENSSH=yes, since both things depend upon the existence of Openssl. However, I highly suggest that you keep OpenSSL since it's important for most software on various levels (ie how can you go online to certain websites and login if you don't have SSL support?!). Read man make.conf for more info on some of the variables that you can define for your system via make.conf.
-Garrett