--On Friday, January 27, 2006 22:49:25 +0000 RW <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Friday 27 January 2006 21:36, Paul Schmehl wrote:
Recently I experienced something that surprised me.  I have a workstation
with two SATA drives.  The second drive is data only and is mounted r/w
when the OS boots.  We had a user whose (Windows) computer crashed and
they wanted to know if we could recover the data.

I said I'd see, and I unplugged the second drive (ad5 on FreeBSD, drive1
on Windows) and plugged in the suspect drive, fully expecting to mount
it and copy files over.  But, when FreeBSD booted, it failed to read ad5
and then dropped to single user mode.
Here's my fstab, if that illuminates anything:

/dev/ad5s1d             /files          ufs     rw              2       2

If you neglected to comment-out this line, FreeBSD would be looking for
this  partition, which doesn't exist on the Windows drive.

I suspected that was the case, but if so, why did mount -a work?

Paul Schmehl ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Adjunct Information Security Officer
University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member