Hi,

  Thanks for the support so far. FreeBSD is working beautifully, both on the
server as well as client workstations. Except for fsck. I am writing from
India, where the electrical power scenario makes up for any possible lack of
frustration.

  My server faces unscheduled power cuts and consequent improper shutdown 2-3
times every day. This is what I have placed in my server's rc.conf :

  fsck_y_enable="YES"
  background_fsck="NO"

  Most of the time when the system comes up on its own without first being
subjected to single-user mode operations, half the services (including squid,
webmin, vsftpd, svscan and - most significantly - getty for the local console)
fail to start up, although fsck does run automatically in the foreground - with
the y[es] argument enabled - on all partitions listed in fstab on system
restart (i.e. restoration of electricity). The only solution I know is to first
go into single-user mode and run fsck on the commandline for all partitions,
after which the server comes up quite nicely.

  This would be okay if I could leave a console attached to the server, in
which case I could run fsck interactively in single-user mode and get the
system up again. For daily operations however, my organisation would much
prefer to have the server working without a console attached.

  So now the question is if I can get FreeBSD 6.0 to run fsck automatically on
restart in such a manner that all services come up consistently. I am even
willing to have fsck run in the foreground upon EACH restart, irrespective of
whether the previous shutdown was proper or improper. How do I do this ?

  Thanks for any help. Attached at the bottom is the previous communication.

  Manish Jain
  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

  On Thursday 26 January 2006 19:39, manish jain wrote:
> I recently persuaded my organisation to shift our main
> server from Linux to FreeBSD 6.0. We are now facing a
> problem with fsck. After improper shutdown, we need
> fsck to run automatically and non-interactively in the
> foreground upon restart. Enabling background fsck lets
> the system come up but fails to properly start a few
> network services.
  When you say you enabled it, do you simply mean you did nothing at all, or
did you add an extra fsck -B somewhere.
  Background fsck is enabled by default, and it runs 60 seconds after all other
initialization. Partitions can only be deferred for background checking if they
support it, and are in a mountable state.  These partitions are simply skipped
in the pre-mount fsck check.
  All it does is recover lost space. It shouldn't have any impact other than a
general slowdown.