On Jan 31, 2006, at 8:31 AM, Xn Nooby wrote:

Is there a suggested method for updating a newly installed FreeBSD
6.0system?  I have found several websites with similar but differing
methods,
often somehow specific to the author's configuration. What I usually do first is install from a CD and get a bare-bones system bootable. What I would like to do after that is update the kernel, system programs, user
programs, and packages.  I usually end up using cvsup, portsnap, and
portupgrade with varying levels of success.

What I would really like is a fool-proof method that works everytime, if there is such a thing. For example, rebuilding things at the lowest layer
first, and working my way up.  I was following a websites tutorial
yesterday, and was confronted with a "stale imagemagic dependency", where I chose to "force" an override. I didn't know if I was doing some wrong or not, and it seemed to work, but I would rather not have to force anything,
if possible.

Previously I had posted the steps I was using, and several people made
annotations which I was able to integrate, but I was mostly curious if there wasn't some standard way. I am trying to use portsnap, since it seems much faster than cvsup, but the handbook doesn't seem to have portsnap integrated
in to the rebuild steps yet (it is in the appendix I think).

There seems to be updates steps for 4.x and 5.x, but not yet 6.x, or maybe I just have found them yet. There seems to be a lot of ways to update your
system right now.

Actually I think you're on the right track as to what method needs to be done to update your system.

cvsup: Use for updating the ports tree and your system's source (base, docs, info, manpages, contrib, etc stuff available in sysinstall).
portupgrade: Use for updating your actual ports programs.

There may be a more elegant solution though and I would be more than happy to hear it too :).
-Garrett