On Sun, Dec 22, 2002 at 04:47:55PM -0500, David S. Jackson wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 22, 2002 at 04:07:13PM +0000 lewiz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> >   I'm looking for some powerful DTP software for FreeBSD / UNIX in
> > general (Linux would be fine, emulation is nice :).
>
> Hi Lewiz.  "Powerful" is a funny word to use when comparing
> Windows/Earlymac software with *Nix.  TeX and groff are some of the most
> powerful typesetting/publishing software ever created, but there's a
> steep learning curve before you can be productive with it.

Hehe, yeah, I agree.  I've been playing around with TeX for a while just
recently.  I can do a bit with it - ie, write an essay, include a few
pictures but tbh, I really would _hate_ to try and do a modern
graphics-intensive DTP project in it.  It's almost too clumsy yet...
much more elegant at the same time ;)

> though I doubt they're anywhere near where FrameMaker and that type of
> software is (was?).

Hehe, still is.  I've looked at it a bit - for Windows only though.
There was a Linux BETA of FrameMaker (or maybe it was PageMaker) but I
couldn't get it to run under emulation, which was a bit disappointing.

> May I suggest that you take a larger view of the project and consider
> various ways to use the data that goes into a yearbook.  It might be
> possible to create an SGML application with an SQL database that could
> give you many ways to reuse the data, including camera ready copy for
> the printer.  But if you think of the data clearly and efficiently, you
> could also generate output for CDs for your class or school, a class
> website, specialized products for special interest groups in your class
> (sell the wrestling team or whoever all their data that didn't make it
> into the yearbook, for instance), or even print a web-based yearbook as
> well, without the restrictions that come with the printed format.

I'm toying with the idea of a website now.  For my school ICT coursework
I'm doing some PHP coding for an ex-pupils website.  Once I've finished
this I might modify it a bit and make it the perfect base for such an
idea.  Not got far with this yet, though.

  Thanks very much for your ideas, they've been very useful.

-lewiz.

--
A consultant is a person who borrows your watch, tells you what time it
is, pockets the watch, and sends you a bill for it.