Norberto Meijome wrote:

Brian Bobowski wrote:
All right. I've got my firewall up and running, and my workstation can
get almost anywhere it needs to just fine.

you dont' say if you are using ipfw, ipf , pf....

Sure I do. IPFW; mentioned lower down.

I can access it by directly referencing the private-interface IP, but if
my workstation tries to get to the public-interface IP, nothing happens.
Can't even ping it. ICMP and port 80 TCP should both be allowed from
anywhere... but they're not getting through.
(Assuming all your rules are ok...) AFAIK, you can't access the external
interface of a NAT'ed system from the LAN side. Simply use a DNS inside
that resolves the name you try to access to the internal interface
instead of the external. this is FAQ, i think...

I'm poking at that now, yes. I had difficulty getting it to work with virtual hosts... but I can at least reference it by the private-side IP address and get places.

(So far as I can tell, it's
not just me who's unable to access these.)
meaning others in your LAN? or others in the WAN?
WAN. People have tried pinging and browsing, with no success.

Does NAT simply not allow for servers to be running on the machine that
performs it? I know it's not ideal, but I don't have the room to install
another machine even if that were in my budget. I've set up NAT and IPFW
per the directions in the handbook, and aside from that one difficulty,
everything seems to be working.

Please reply off the list.
CCing the list for the benefit of everyone else :)

Beto

Hope the clarifications help,
-BB