On Mon, Dec 23, 2002 at 05:59:17AM -0800, Kevin Greenidge wrote:
> I installed FreeBSD 4.7 over the weekend and am having
> the toughest time getting Samba working.
>
> I have up and running on the server but I cannot see
> any of the Samba shares from my WinXP box. I can ping
> the Samba box from winXP so I know it's there. I used
> Webmin to configure Samba and don't remember it being
> this much trouble when I installed Samba in the past.

Sometimes, the trouble is in smb.conf with encrypted passwords.
It's commented out by default and has to be uncommented. (or you can
hack the registry on each MS box).

I have a beginner's page on samba, which although Linux oriented,
might be of use at
http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/samba.html

Also, you'll find in /usr/local/share/doc/samba/textdocs something
called DIAGNOSIS which might be helpful, it's a good troubleshooting
guide.

HTH
--

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6

Anya: You know this isn't your world, right? I mean, you know you
don't belong here.
Willow: No. This is a dumb world. On my world, there are people
in chains, and we can ride them like ponies.