On Feb 14, 2006, at 12:07 PM, Alec Berryman wrote:

Joe Auty on 2006-02-14 11:49:05 -0500:

What is the best way to clone a disk in FreeBSD?

[...]

Can I use DD on two disks of different size? Do you recommend Ghost
for Unix?

g4u is a very nice wrapper for dd.  I've had great success with it for
identically-sized disks; there shouldn't be a problem if the target
disk is larger than the source disk, because you can edit the
partitions around and then growfs.

Don't overlook tar, though - it doesn't care about disk sizes as long
as you have enough free space, doesn't care about partitions, and is
simpler in many cases.  If you boot up to the fixit image from an
install CD you can partition and newfs to however you like and then
untar.

Also, I see that growfs operates off of free sectors. If I were to use dd/g4u, how would I know how many sectors are available for me to grow the partition to? The "df" command only seems to operate in blocksizes, not sectors. This is rather new to me...